On 25th May, 2018, a new law came into effect that protects your right to privacy, confidentiality and control over how your personal data is used. This new law is called the General Data Protection Regulation.
I would like to reassure you that I do not collate data on any of my clients of my Psychotherapy Services. I follow strict codes of practice around privacy, confidentiality and safety.
I do not use a computer database but, as would be expected, I do hold some minimal information within paper-based client files. That information is as follows…
- I hold only paper based files. I do not use a computer based database.
- I keep your paper based assessment form, contract and hand written brief notes from each appointment I have with you. These notes do not carry your name and so any disclosures you make cannot be linked to you.
- I store the above information within a locked cabinet, within a locked room, within a locked premises; in line with legislative requirements.
- I store this information for up to one year, on a needs only basis, after which, your notes are then shredded and disposed of.
- My work is overseen by my Clinical Supervisor, as is required of all Counsellors and Psychotherapists. She is Accredited by the BACP and has over 20 years of experience. She adheres to the GDPR policy as well.
- I meet all of the strict requirements to maintain my Accreditation with The National Counselling Society and to maintain my Registered status, enabling me to carry the logo of The Professional Standards Authority.
- Skype based therapy/clinical supervision services: Update as at June 2019: Following the hacking of the encrypted services of What’sApp, I believe that the risk to the hacking of encrypted services, such as Skype, has grown. For this reason, I am now closing my Skype based services. I will be taking no further Skype referrals. I am sorry for this disappointing news but I cannot ensure that I can comply with the new GDPR regulations, where the security of a third-party service is not within my control. This applies to all video based services, henceforth.
- If you commission me to write for you, I will keep a copy of paper based files in a locked cabinet, in a locked a locked room and anonymised.
- I store this information for a maximum of one year after your work with me has ended, on a needs only basis, after which your notes are then shredded and disposed of.
- I will always retain a copy of any completed written project, for my archive, as evidence of my skill in my writing profession, as part of a portfolio; anonymised.
E-mail and Web Site:
- If you contact me, but do not take up one of my services, I do not store your e-mail address in my e-mail Address Book.
- If you contact me and you do take up one of my services, I store your e-mail address in my e-mail Address Book. This makes future communication between us faster and more efficient.
- My e-mail service provider is GMAIL The web services they provide are encrypted, which is one of the reasons I use their excellent web site service.
By using my services, you agree with the above. You can request, at any time, that I remove any stored, identifying information about you and I will be pleased to comply.
Please be assured that nothing is more important to me than your privacy, confidentiality and safety. My reputation depends upon that.